Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Bell recovered from iconic World War I shipwreck returned to U.S. over a century after it sank -WealthGrow Network
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Bell recovered from iconic World War I shipwreck returned to U.S. over a century after it sank
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 03:40:24
A massive brass bell that went down with a torpedoed U.S. Navy destroyer during World War I more than a century ago has been returned to the United States, officials said.
The 80-pound bell from the USS Jacob Jones was turned over to U.S. Navy Adm. James Kilby by a British Royal Navy officer in a ceremony earlier this month, the U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) announced. In a social media post, the agency shared an image of Kilby receiving from Royal Navy Vice Adm. Martin Connell what is now considered a historic artifact, memorializing soldiers who died on board the U.S. Navy destroyer.
The symbolic transfer happened at Lancaster House in London last week.
"This bell serves as a remembrance of the 64 sailors aboard Jacob Jones who made the ultimate sacrifice defending the freedom of our country and those who challenged it," Kilby said in a statement. "As the first U.S. destroyer lost in combat, her crew's legacy will live on, their stories will be told and their loss will be remembered as we preserve this piece of our nation's story.
Adm. James W. Kilby, vice chief of naval operations, left, accepted custody of the bell on behalf of the U.S. Navy from U.K. Vice Adm. Martin Connell, second sea lord and deputy chief of naval staff, right. during a ceremony at Lancaster House in London on May 15. pic.twitter.com/2iCzYnpuel
— U.S. Naval History (@USNHistory) May 20, 2024
The USS Jacob Jones sunk in the English Channel on Dec. 6, 1917, after being struck by a German submarine's torpedo, becoming the first U.S. Navy destroyer sunk by enemy fire. Out of seven officers and 103 crew members on board the Jacob Jones when it was torpedoed, 64 were killed, according to the NHHC.
The bell, once fixed to the warship itself, went down with the ship and became lost to time until a group of expert divers discovered the wreck in August 2022.
They found it around 400 feet below the surface of the Atlantic Ocean, some 60 miles south of Cornwall in southern England, officials said at the time. Although the U.S. Navy typically observes a hands-off policy when it comes to older shipwrecks discovered in contemporary times, the NHHC partnered with the U.K. Ministry of Defense to study the wreck site and salvage the bell out of concern others would do it illegally.
The bell was recovered in January and temporarily given to the U.K. private company Wessex Archaeology, under contract with the NHHC, for an initial treatment. With its return to the U.S., the bell will undergo a conservation treatment from the command's Conservation, Research, and Archaeology Laboratory, to prepare it for exhibiting at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy in Washington, D.C.
Although the agency has not shared a specific timeline for the conservation effort, Shanna Daniel, an archaeological conservator with the NHHC, said in a statement that their goal is to ready the bell for "long-term curation and display."
"We believe the bell will offer a tangible way for the public to connect and learn about the story of Jacob Jones and U.S. Navy's role in World War I," said Daniel.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- United Kingdom
- United States Navy
- World War I
Emily Mae Czachor is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. She covers breaking news, often focusing on crime and extreme weather. Emily Mae has previously written for outlets including the Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed and Newsweek.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (6)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Jennifer Lopez files to divorce Ben Affleck on second wedding anniversary
- Who was the DJ at DNC? Meet DJ Cassidy, the 'music maestro' who led the roll call
- Nevada wildfire causes rail and power outages, but crews halt flames’ progress
- Average rate on 30
- It Ends With Us' Brandon Sklenar Slams Critics Vilifying the Women Behind the Film
- Pumpkin Spice Latte officially back at Starbucks this week: Plus, a new apple-flavored drink
- Driver distracted by social media leading to fatal Arizona freeway crash gets 22 1/2 years
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Some Florida counties had difficulty reporting primary election results to the public, officials say
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Don’t Miss These Free People Deals Under $50 - Snag Boho Chic Styles Starting at $19 & Save Up to 65%
- Olympian Aly Raisman Shares Mental Health Advice for Jordan Chiles Amid Medal Controversy
- Incumbents beat DeSantis-backed candidates in Florida school board race
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Kentucky’s new education chief promotes ambitious agenda
- Olympian Aly Raisman Shares Mental Health Advice for Jordan Chiles Amid Medal Controversy
- A Handy Guide to Jennifer Lopez's 6 Engagement Rings: See Every Dazzling Diamond
Recommendation
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Man charged with stealing equipment from FBI truck then trading it for meth: Court docs
Human bones found near carousel in waterfront park in Brooklyn
It's Al Roker's 70th birthday, and he got this advice from Oprah Winfrey
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Arrests in fatal Texas smuggling attempt climb 2 years after 53 migrants died in tractor trailer
'Beyond excited': Alex Cooper's 'Call Her Daddy' podcast inks major deal with SiriusXM
School choice and a history of segregation collide as one Florida county shutters its rural schools