Current:Home > MarketsThe company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test -WealthGrow Network
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 04:18:02
A private company aiming to build the first supersonic airliner since the Concorde retired more than two decades ago achieved its first sound-barrier-busting flight over California's Mojave desert on Tuesday.
Denver-based Boom Supersonic's XB-1 demonstrator plane, with Chief Test Pilot Tristan "Geppetto" Brandenburg at the controls, hit Mach 1.122, or 750 mph, at an altitude of about 35,000 feet. Brandenburg brought the plane to a successful landing at the end of the approximately 34-minute flight.
Founder and CEO Blake Scholl described the flight as "phenomenal."
"We're ready to scale up. We're ready to build the passenger supersonic jet that will pick up where Concorde left off and ultimately allow the rest of us to fly supersonic," Scholl said.
veryGood! (79)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Prime-time headache for NFL? Aaron Rodgers' injury leaves league's schedule in tough spot
- Argentine inflation keeps soaring, putting the government on the defensive as elections near
- Wisconsin Senate to vote on override of Evers’ 400-year veto and his gutting of tax increase
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Teen driver accused of intentionally hitting three cyclists, killing one, in Southern California
- Defense set to begin in impeachment trial of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
- Ex-CIA employee snared earlier in classified info bust found guilty of possessing child abuse images
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- On the road again: Commuting makes a comeback as employers try to put pandemic in the rearview
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Jill Duggar Dillard says family's strict rules, alleged deception led to estrangement
- Delta Air Lines will restrict access to its Sky Club airport lounges as it faces overcrowding
- Australia to toughen restrictions on ex-service personnel who would train foreign militaries
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival expands schedule
- A school shooting in Louisiana left 1 dead, 2 hurt. Classes are canceled until Friday.
- Selena Gomez Reveals Why She Really Looked Concerned During Olivia Rodrigo’s VMAs Performance
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Convicted murderer's escape raises questions about county prison inspections
Jonas Brothers, Friendly's launch new ice cream dishes: The Joe, Nick and Kevin Sundaes
UFOs, little green men: Mexican lawmakers hear testimony on possible existence of extraterrestrials
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Wholesale price inflation accelerated in August from historically slow pace
Trump won’t be tried with Powell and Chesebro next month in Georgia election case
Parents of autistic boy demand answers after video shows school employee striking son