Current:Home > ContactAn independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -WealthGrow Network
An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 04:05:17
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago, as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Federal court won’t block New Mexico’s 7-day waiting period on gun purchases amid litigation
- Donald Trump and Bryson DeChambeau aim to break 50 on YouTube: Five takeaways
- Listeria outbreak linked to deli meats causes 2 deaths. Here's what to know about symptoms.
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Abortion rights supporters report having enough signatures to qualify for Montana ballot
- Wisconsin, in a first, to unveil a Black woman’s statue in its Capitol
- New York’s Marshes Plagued by Sewage Runoff and Lack of Sediment
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Indiana’s three gubernatorial candidates agree to a televised debate in October
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Nevada election officials ramp up voter roll maintenance ahead of November election
- Measure aimed at repealing Alaska’s ranked voting system still qualifies for ballot, officials say
- Kamala Harris' economic policies may largely mirror Biden's, from taxes to immigration
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- SpongeBob SquarePants Is Autistic, Actor Tom Kenny Reveals
- Federal court won’t block New Mexico’s 7-day waiting period on gun purchases amid litigation
- NFL Star Joe Burrow Shocks Eminem Fans With Slim Shady-Inspired Transformation
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
IOC awards 2034 Winter Games to Salt Lake City. Utah last hosted the Olympics in 2002
Georgia denies state funding to teach AP Black studies classes
Russia sentences U.S. dual national journalist Alsu Kurmasheva to prison for reporting amid Ukraine war
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Minnesota Vikings agree to massive extension with tackle Christian Darrisaw
Gunman opens fire in Croatia nursing home, killing 6 and wounding six, with most victims in their 90s
Matthew Stafford reports to training camp after Rams, QB modify contract